Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hand-Dyed and Hand-Painted Crochet Thread

I've been purchasing hand-dyed and hand-painted crochet thread for several years now and have quite a collection of it. I like it because of the beautiful color combinations the makers come up with, and compared to the hand-dyed and hand-painted yarns out there, the crochet threads are fairly inexpensive.



Although the two are often interchanged -- hand-dyed and hand-painted -- there is a difference. Basically, hand-dyed yarns and threads involve dipping the material into the dye. With hand-painted, the dye is applied to the material with a paintbrush, foam brush or squirt bottle.

Both are easy to find online, especially on Etsy and eBay. Because I no longer shop on eBay, most of the thread I purchase is from sellers on Etsy.

 Bre-Aly Threads on Etsy
Size 10 Crochet Thread at Bre-Aly Threads

One of my favorite Etsy shops is Bre-Aly Threads. I have shopped there for years and have a large plastic container full of their threads. She sells hand-painted size 10 crochet thread in 50 yard center-pull balls for $1.50 and 150 yard balls for $3.95. Bre-Aly's color combinations are unique and her prices are very reasonable.

Another favorite seller is Sara's Colorwave Yarns. I found this shop not on Etsy, but by searching on Yahoo. As far as I know, she doesn't sell on Etsy or eBay. She offers sizes 10, 20, 30, and 40 hand-dyed crochet threads, as well as a variety of hand-dyed yarns. The one thing I don't like about this shop is you can only purchase size 10 thread in 300-yard balls for $8.00 each.

Unfortunately sellers come and go, especially on Etsy. Many of the sellers I've purchased hand-dyed or hand-painted crochet threads from are currently not selling anything. But luckily, there are also many new sellers to try.



No comments:

Post a Comment